About us

Southport & Birkdale Sports Club can trace its history back to 1859, with the formation of Southport Cricket Club on a ground located close to Birkdale Station. Southport CC had a somewhat chequered history, disbanding in 1865 and re-emerging across town, at Manchester Road, the following year.

Despite taking on an All England XI in each of the next three seasons, this resurrection was short lived, and the Club folded permanently in 1888. However, the Southport Alexandra Cricket Club assumed the Southport CC mantle from 1890.

Meanwhile, Birkdale Cricket Club had played it's first game at the Trafalgar Road ground in 1874 and the two clubs amalgamated - as Southport & Birkdale Cricket Club - in 1902, following the sale of the former Alexandra Club's ground for housing development.

Neither of the constituent clubs had been invited to join the Liverpool Competition when it first formed in 1892, but the resumption of cricket after the First World War changed all that and S&B was accepted into the league in 1919, where it still remains today.

Until 1964 the Club had a Tudor clubhouse, when under the Chairmanship of Arthur Colenso a new clubhouse was built. Once the new clubhouse house was built women and children were allowed in the Club for the first time. Junior members were often waiting outside until  a player would volunteer to go the bar for them – as Neil McQuaid (Sports Club President) can well remember!

The new clubhouse saw a large amount of change in the Club, not only were women & children allowed in for the first time, the club opening hours were extended to open 363 days a year (closed on Good Friday & Christmas Day).

The club saw a rapid development in junior coaching and the number of teams increased dramatically in the coming years. Despite all the change, the annual dinner (cricket) was still a male reserve, again until things changed in recent years.

Southport Hockey Club has played at Trafalgar Road since the early 1900s. With the growth of hockey membership and teams, the addition of the Squash Courts and therefore the formation of the S & B Squash Club, under the drive and foresight of Brian Donne dramatically improved the club sporting profile.

Hockey played at Trafalgar Road until England Hockey's insistence on all-weather pitches in 1999. Birkdale Lawn Tennis Club moved there from Victoria Park in 1989, some 111 years after its formation at the iconic Southport Palace Hotel. 1992 saw the formation of the SHC ladies section, now after some twenty years very successfully running three teams. All these clubs co-existed on the site until amalgamation as Southport & Birkdale Sports Club in 1999.

The Club has a proud history of hosting First Class cricket, with 39 games played between 1959 and 1999. However, 2011 saw the return of County cricket, after a 12 year break, when Lancashire took on Nottinghamshire in front of a record crowd of over 7,500 people.

The game was an undoubted success, encouraging Lancashire to come back again in 2013, this time with Hampshire their opponents and they have announced that they will return in 2015 to take on Derbyshire.